Thursday, October 16, 2008

Last Post from Kenya

Well we head home tomorrow evening. It has been an unforgetable trip. But before I sign of from Kenya I'll tell you about today.

We went to Nanyuki Main and Women's Prison. It was a three hour drive but it was worth every minute. This is the smallest of the prisons I went to. The woman's side only had 25 ladies/4 kids. They were cooking their lunch over an open fire when we got there. Gateway International had given them a sewing machine and we got to see it in action. One of the inmates was using it when we got there. 14 women prayed to receive Christ there. The weather was iffy when it was time to go to the men's side, but we prayed and asked God to hold off on the rain till we were through.

The men side had about 500 inmates with about 250 accepting Christ. Also the rain held off until we were finished. God is so good!

As in all the prisons we've been to, afterwards we had to go the Officer In Charge's office for drinks and cookies. And then we were on our way.

One of the things I haven't talked about since I've been gone is the eye glass clinics, and I guess that's because I wasn't ever on one of those teams. But we had an eye doctor with us and at one prison every day we held clinics. The inmates that had eye problems or needed glasses were seen by the doctor and helped. This part of the trip has been very successful. Dr. Curtis so over 1200 patients since we've been here.

It's raining here now. I hope it stops before tomorrow as we are headed to the Game Park in the morning. I've been packing this evening so when we get back all I'll have to do is pack my souveniers.

One of the neat things about being on the team I was on today was that we crossed the equator. We actually stopped and took pictures at the actual spot. They know where the equator is because if you are north of the equator water drains in a clockwise position. If you are south of the equator is drains in a counter-clockwise direction. If you are right on the equator is drains straight. We saw this demonstrated and it's pretty neat. We also saw the largest mountain range in Kenya. Mount Kenya. It's about 17000 feet about sea level. Because of the clouds we couldn't actually see the top, but there is snow on the top all year round.

Well I'm coming home with about 2500 pictures (we're combining everyone's pictures on 4 CD's) so you will all be tired of hearing about it quickly. I've been humbled being on this trip. American's are so spoiled and have way too much stuff. Everyone needs to take a trip like this to be brought down a few notches.

Signing off from Kenya, until I see you all in person!

1 comment:

Playing Sublimely said...

oh my goodness you have no idea how you have made me feel special this morning, thank you for your kind words...coming from you it is an honor!